In the last few years, we have steadily increased the proportion of TENCEL™ Lyocell from the company Lenzing that we use in our products.
Key benefits of TENCEL™ Lyocell
Derived from nature, all TENCEL™ standard Lyocell fibre types are certified as biodegradable and compostable under industrial, home, soil and marine conditions, so they revert fully back to nature.
Gentle on the skin:
- TENCEL™ Lyocell fibres are naturally soft to the touch and offer long-lasting comfort. When viewed under an electron microscope, TENCEL™ Lyocell fibres exhibit a smooth surface area, giving fabrics a soft feel and ensuring comfort for sensitive skin.
- TENCEL™ Lyocell fibres are naturally smooth to the touch, as evidenced by the TSA (Tissue Softness Analyser) test. When viewed under an electron microscope, TENCEL™ Lyocell fibres exhibit a sleek surface area, enabling fabrics to glide lightly over skin.
Unfavourable for bacterial growth:
- Through moisture management, TENCEL™ Lyocell fibres absorb moisture efficiently, as measured by the vapour uptake test and water retention value. In comparison to polyester and synthetics, there is less available moisture on the surface of the fibre for bacteria to grow. Consequently, TENCEL™ Lyocell fibres provide a less favourable environment for bacterial growth, offering better hygienic qualities.
- TENCEL™ Lyocell fibres support body temperature-regulating properties through their moisture management. Derived from natural material, the microscopic fibrils of cellulosic fibres are structured to regulate the absorption and release of moisture, contributing to fabric breathability that supports the body’s natural thermal regulation. TENCEL™ Lyocell cellulose fibres have a higher vapour uptake than cotton.
- TENCEL™ Lyocell fibres are derived from sustainable wood sources, harvested from certified and controlled sources following the stringent guidelines of the Lenzing Wood and Pulp Policy. These fibres are also available with FSC®(C041246) or PEFC™ certification upon request. Moreover, wood and pulp used by the Lenzing Group comes from natural forests and sustainably managed plantations.
- TENCEL™ Lyocell fibres have gained a reputation for their environmentally responsible, closed loop production process, which transforms wood pulp into cellulosic fibres with high resource efficiency and low ecological impact. The solvent-spinning process recycles process water and reuses the solvent at a recovery rate of over 99%. This economically viable manufacturing process received the European Award for the Environment from the European Commission in the category ‘The Technology Award for Sustainable Development’.
Moreover, all Lenzing fibre production sites operate according to a certified Environmental Management and Occupational Health and Safety system (ISO14001, OHSAS 18001).